sunnuntai 8. helmikuuta 2009

I've heard of a toro feria, but a poro feria...?

This weekend brought Oulu's poro (reindeer) feria, attracting large crowds of interested foreigners, like me! Events included Finnish style yodeling, pop rock in Finnish and Sami languages, and reindeer racing.








Oulu policeman keeping the peace at poro feria.










How Finnish kids get to school in the winter, ha ha.





















Checking out the competition.



The race. I would like everyone reading this blog to appreciate the pains, literally, I went through to get this shot. I tried several times to capture the reindeer in action but those suckers move fast and by the time my frozen fingers managed to push the shutter button they were out of frame. I got this on the last run. BTW, for all of those dwelling closer to the equator, this is how the light looks at midday here. And this isn't even the height of wintertime.

1 kommentti:

Touko kirjoitti...

Nice looking race, reindeers are cute animals. Check out also the coffee reindeer, "kahvinporo".